The search is not case sensitive. This means that you can enter either uppercase or lowercase letters. The online search tool allows you to search for orders from the past 3 years. You can search for orders using:
- Keyword search
- The Tenancy Tribunal application number
- Decision date
- The name of landlord or tenant, or the name of the organisation, company or trust
- The tenancy address
- Damages and compensation
- Searches the order/abstract document
- When you wish to search for a phrase, enclose it in quotation marks e.g. "Unit Titles Act".
- Search is not case sensitive and Boolean search commands apply.
Advanced Search Tips
Narrow searches in the Search Terms box by using Boolean operators, which are simple terms that define the relationship between words. The databases use:
|" " Double Quotation Marks: Find an exact phrase. Search results will return cases with the exact phrase between quotations marks.
||AND: Find two terms. Search results will return cases with both words before and after AND. AND must be written in all upper case.
|OR: Find either term. Search results will return cases with either of the words before and after OR. OR must be written in all upper case.
||NOT: Exclude a term. Search results will not return cases with the word after NOT. NOT must be written in all upper case.
|* Wildcard asterisk: Find variable spellings or replace unknown characters. Search results will return cases that match the given characters and any combination of other characters. E.g. bea* will return bean, beach, bead, bear, beauty etc.
An example of a search phrase using Boolean: "blue jelly beans" AND candy NOT sugar*.
Enter an application number. The format will be either:
- NN/NNNNN/CC where N is a number and C is a character (A-Z) including leading 0's
- NNNNNNNN where N is a number up to 8 digits long.
Enter a date range to search for Tribunal orders by date.
- Enter either the full or partial First Name e.g. 'M', 'Mi' or 'Mic' will return Michael or Michelle
- Enter either the full or partial Family Name e.g. 'Smi' will return Smith or Smiley. (Minimum two letters)
- The Middle Name is not required for a search.
Parties (organisation / company / trust / other)
- Enter the Organisation's legal name. Do not include any branch or suburb information in the search, unless they are part of the Organisation's legal name (e.g. use 'Housing New Zealand Corporation', not 'Housing New Zealand Corporation - Auckland').
- Common abbreviations can be used such as 'Ltd', 'NZ' or 'Corp' e.g. Housing NZ Corp will return Housing New Zealand Corporation
- A partial search can be performed i.e. 'Hou' will return Housing New Zealand Corporation. (Minimum two characters)
- Please check www.companies.govt.nz for correct Organisation names.
- Enter the Street name, Street Type and Street Direction (when applicable) e.g. 'Sydney Street West'.
- Common abbreviations can be used for Street Type e.g. 'St' for Street, 'Rd' for Road
- Common abbreviations can be used for Street Direction e.g. 'W' for West
- City/Town has to be a New Zealand City or Town e.g. Auckland.
- To confirm address information please refer to the Address & Post Code finder at the following address www.nzpost.co.nz
Damages and compensation
- Select Tenant or Landlord to search for Tribunal orders
- Select an award type to search for Tribunal orders